Molluscum contagiosum (MC), sometimes called water warts, is a viral infection of the skin that results in small, raised, pink lesions with a dimple in the center. They may occasionally be itchy or sore. They may occur singly or in groups.
Signs and symptoms
- Are raised, round and flesh colored
- Are small — typically under about 1/4 inch (smaller than 6 millimeters) in diameter
- Characteristically have a small indentation (umbilication) or dot at the top near the center
- Can become red and inflamed
- May be itchy
- Can be easily removed by scratching or rubbing, which can spread the virus to adjacent skin
- Usually appear on the face, neck, armpits, arms and tops of the hands in children
- May be seen on the genitals, lower abdomen and inner upper thighs in adults if the infection was sexually transmitted.
- Keep hands clean
- Avoid scratching or shaving
- Cover all visible lesions with clothing or watertight bandages
- Dispose of used bandages
- Do not share towels, clothing or other personal effects
- Adults should practice safe sex or abstinence
- Aloe Vera- You can buy the gel separately or just split an aloe shoot long ways and extract the gel yourself from fresh aloe vera.
Apply the gel to the affected areas twice daily.
- Neem- Boil 10 to 12 neem leaves in water and apply the resulting infusion to the affected area.
Purchase neem oil in an extract, mix several drops with olive or coconut oil and apply it to the target area as well.
- Coconut Oil- Just apply coconut oil to the affected area 2 to 3 times a day.
- Calendula- Boil 4 cups of water with 1 cup of calendula flowers for 5 minutes.
Soak a cloth in the warm water, wring cloth, and then place it on the affected area until it cools.
Repeat several times a day.
- Tea Tree Oil- just dab a cotton ball in tea tree oil and then apply the oil to the affected areas. Repeat the process 3 to 4 times daily for rapid results.
- Elderberry Extract- Use crushed berries or a commercial extract from elderberries as a topical salve 3 to 4 times daily
Or, boil a Tbsp of elderberry flowers or a Tbsp of crushed berries in a cup of water to drink it as a tea 2 to 3 times a day to work from the inside out.
- Garlic-In a jar place 6 chopped garlic cloves.
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice extracted from 3 oranges.
Let it sit for 12 hours.
Apply the infusion to the affected areas 2 to 3 times daily.
Add fresh garlic to your diet as well to speed the process.
- Olive Leaf Extract- Mix several drops of olive leaf extract in olive oil and apply it to the affected area.
Repeat 2 to 3 times daily.
- Duct Tape Occlusion- Simply place duct tape over the affected area and let it do its job. Replace the worn duct tape as needed.
- Rubbing Alcohol- Saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and apply to the affected areas
Repeat the process 2 to 3 times daily.
How it works: alcohol is a natural, infection assassin. It penetrates into the skin and kills the infection with precision.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Apply undiluted apple cider vinegar to the affected areas before you go to bed and after you wake up.
Or soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and tape it, perhaps with duct tape over the affected areas.
You can also mix 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it twice daily to work from the inside out.
- Onions- Extract the juice from raw, red onions and apply it to the affected areas several times a day.
Add garlic to the juice to make it even more potent.
In addition, add more raw onions to your diet to help boost your immune system.
How it works: onions contain antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it an extremely powerful solution to various infectious conditions.
- Turmeric- Mix 1 Tbsp turmeric with honey or aloe vera gel to form a paste.
Apply paste to the affected areas.
Repeat 2 to 3 times daily.
- Coconut Oil- One of the most powerful natural remedies for skin conditions is coconut oil, which boasts antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. By rubbing this oil directly on the affected skin areas, you can quickly reduce the inflammation and itchiness, and also kill the virus, thus clearing up the condition.